I made this quick noodle soup for lunch the other day and thought I should share the recipe. It’s so great if you don’t have much time but you want something homemade, nourishing and pretty healthy! It’s vaguely Japanese-inspired, while being 100% inauthentic, and the ingredients are pretty flexible.
This is a generous single helping for one, and it takes about 5 minutes to cook (yes, it really is that quick!)
Lazy Mama’s Quick Noodle Soup
If you tend to eat stir fries and cook Asian food, you’ll probably have most of the ingredients in your store cupboard, like we do. However the whole point of this soup is that it’s quick and easy, so I’ve also given some substitutions you can use instead, if you don’t have the right ingredients.
You will need…
- Sesame oil (you can use regular vegetable oil, but sesame oil tastes best)
- Soy sauce
- Teriyaki sauce (if you don’t have this, you can replace it with a dash of extra soy sauce and a spoon of honey)
- Mirin or rice wine (optional – you can leave this out entirely or use sherry instead)
- Miso soup made up from a packet or paste, OR bouillon powder OR in a pinch, a vegetable stock cube!
- 2 spring onions (or a small handful of finely chopped white onion)
- Vegetables of your choice! I love chestnut mushrooms in this – but pak choi, cabbage, spinach etc. all work great, as would pumpkin or squash. Or you can have it plain with just noodles and soup!
- One pack of wok- ready noodles. I think udon noodles is best, but it depends what type of noodle you prefer!
How To Make Your Quick Noodle Soup
First, fry your spring onions and mushrooms in sesame oil, in a small saucepan.
Make up about 400ml of miso soup or vegetable stock. When the onions are soft and the mushrooms cooked, add the stock.
Add about a tablespoon of teriyaki sauce, the same of mirin, and a generous dash of soy sauce. Bring to a simmer.
Add the noodles and cook until done, as per the pack instructions – usually a couple of minutes.
And you’re done! It really is that easy. This is my go-to dish when Martin is out, as he’s usually head chef in our household except where baking is concerned.
More easy recipes
Looking for more easy to cook, quick recipes? Why not check out my recipes page! Or for more inspiration for easy vegetarian recipes, take a peek at this yummy tomato soup recipe or this couscous salad – or if you’re a pescatarian, perhaps even this honey soy salmon salad… Yum…